Wednesday 11 November 2009

12

Ginseng blossom and velveteen coat

In between bouts of self-flagellation I've been working on my first winterised coat using Thinsulate. This is for a customer who (luckily for me) has a coat obsession and this is the first of two coats she's commissioned for her daughter.


One side is Amy Butler's Ginseng fabric with green, olive, fuchsia and cream blossoms and leaves.


It's single breasted with three big fuchsia velveteen buttons.


It has a big fat hood to keep out the winter chill.


The other side is bright fuchsia velveteen that's soft and snuggly.


I like how the hood shows the flowers off even from the plain side and coordinates with the olive and fuchsia buttons.

I have to say that working with the Thinsulate wasn't quite the be-all-and-end-all I'd been dreaming of. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally glad that I'm using this for my innerlining now because it offers wind resistance and eight times the warmth of normal innerlining of the same weight but it was still pretty tricky to work with. Perhaps some of you lovely quilters can give me some tips on how to contend with slippage of the top layer? I should also add that I have a 50 metre roll of 150cm tall, 120g weight Thinsulate. It is literally the elephant in the room. If I'm making you a Christmas present this year, it will be made out of Thinsulate.

Addendum: I think that I've replied to everyone who contacted me as the result of my last couple of angsty-posts but they were coming into my personal email, my work email, through Facebook. None through the actual post because our postie probably stole them or they're sitting in some warehouse in Timbuktu as a result of the postal strikes. So if I did miss your message please send me an email entitled 'What about me, b*tch?' and I'll rectify my oversight! You're all awesome.

12 comments:

  1. LMAO at the thinsulate presents. You don't do things by halves do you? ;)
    I love that coat, the colours are stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my defense, 10 metres of Thisulate from a supplier cost the same as 50 metres from the manufacturer. So it's basic Economics. And maybe a little bit of compulsion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely coat. Interesting christmas presents this year I suspect.

    And you haven't missed me because the insanely busy-ness that is my work meant I never saw your last post until today. What I would have said was: *hugs* and I think that PND is the hidden D in our society. We hardly dare mention it incase someone thinks we're a bad mother. I can't think of any of my mum friends who hasn't had some degree of PND including myself, but none of us would admit it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH! Love it!! The buttons are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your best bet is the temporary spray on glue that I think 3M do (you can get it in quilting shops)- you basically glue tack the layers together and voila! no slippage! I used to use it when I was a nappy cover maker WAHM (with PUL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so gorgeous, you clever thing you! I'm going to keep showing your shop/blog to my son's gf, eventually she'll have to have a baby just so we can start buying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that coat. I might have to steal the fabric idea for when I attempt to make one from my giveaway win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg! i blooming well love it!!!!! I can;'t wait for lucy to wear it. you're so bloody clever!!!! (i know sewaring not big or clever but am dumbstruck at how awesome it looks!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops apologies for spelling mistakes, one handed typing while b/f baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous coat!
    I haven't yet sewn with thinsulate, but I'm thinking a walking foot would help with the slippage.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable creation! Love it!

    Popover for our TRIPLE GIVEAWAY if you haven't already. Have a lovely eve. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is soooo gorgeous!!!! I really love your reversible coats.

    I missed your last couple of posts too, but here's a big hug from me too - PND is horrible, and I completely agree with Louiz.

    ReplyDelete